Finding the real deals on fruit sometimes means taking advantage of good sales, other times, it’s just knowing who usually carries them for the lowest prices. While buying organic as much as possible is preferable, if you’re trying to stretch your food-buying dollar, it’s important to know which ones should be organic and which ones are okay conventionally grown if you’re trying to limit pesticide exposure. I go by the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen and Clean 15.
While the list below is by no means comprehensive, it does feature some of the most popular fruit bought this time of year and where you can buy it at the lowest price from among the national shopping chains. These prices were compared between Whole Foods, Walmart Supercenter, Trader Joe’s, Sam’s Club, Target, Costco, Sprouts and Aldi.
Disclaimer: While I can’t guarantee that these prices can be found at every one of the mentioned stores across the country, what I’m providing will be the prices found in a sampling of locations from all regions. If there is an obvious difference in the prices, I will provide the expected price range.
These prices are also not provided to me directly by the stores. I am developing them from the online resources that they provide to the general public. If there is something that piques your interest, but it would require going out of your way to take advantage of it, I would suggest checking it out online first. At least this will let you know what to look for.
November 20-26, 2019:
- Conventional Mandarin Oranges (including Clementines) – Aldi; $2.39 – $2.49 for a 3lb bag (If you don’t have an Aldi nearby, Sprouts has the next lowest prices at $1.98 for a 2lb bag. If you don’t have either of those nearby, Walmart Supercenter has them for between $3.32-$4.98 for a 3lb bag or Sam’s Club has them for between $4.62 – $6.68 for a 5lb bag)
- Organic Cranberries – Whole Foods; $2.69 for 12oz bag (Prime deal through 11/26) **Not available in all locations
- Organic Red Grapes – Sprouts; $4.57 – $6.91 (If you don’t have a Sprouts nearby, in some locations, Walmart Supercenter has them for $5.98 for 2lbs or $2.99/lb)
- Organic Green Grapes – Walmart Supercenter; $3.62 – $5.98 for 2lbs
- Organic Strawberries – Walmart Supercenter; $2.96 – $4.62/lb
- Organic Bananas – Sam’s Club; $1.82 – $1.98 for 3lbs and Walmart Supercenter for $.52 – $.68/lb
- Organic Lemons – Trader Joe’s; $1.99/lb (Not available in all locations) and Target for $3.99 – $6.99 for 2lb bag
- Organic Limes – Whole Foods; $2 – $3.49/lb
- Organic Honeycrsip Apples – Walmart Supercenter; $2.96 – $3.96 for 2lb bag