Finding the real deals on fresh vegetables sometimes means taking advantage of good sales, other times, it’s just knowing who usually carries them for the lowest prices. While buying organic as much as possible is preferable, if you’re trying to stretch your food-buying dollar, it’s important to know which ones should be organic and which ones are okay conventionally grown if you’re trying to limit pesticide exposure. I go by the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen and Clean 15.
While the list below is by no means comprehensive, it does feature many of the most popular vegetables bought this time of year and where you can buy them at the lowest price from among the national shopping chains. I also want to clarify that I always strongly encourage you to shop at your local farmers’ market as much as possible. Since I realize that’s not always possible, this list will help you to make informed choices as you buy fresh vegetables from commercial sources. These prices were compared between Whole Foods, Walmart Supercenter, Trader Joe’s, Sam’s Club, Target, Costco, Sprouts and Aldi.
Disclaimer: While I can’t guarantee that these prices can be found at every one of the mentioned stores across the country, what I’m providing will be the prices found in a sampling of locations from all regions. If there is an obvious difference in the prices, I will provide the expected price range.
These prices are also not provided to me directly by the stores. I am developing them from the online resources that they provide to the general public. If there is something that piques your interest, but it would require going out of your way to take advantage of it, I would suggest checking it out online first. At least this will let you know what to look for.
November 20 – 28, 2019:
- Organic celery – Sprouts; $1.48 – on sale through 11/28 (If you don’t have a Sprouts nearby, Walmart Supercenter has the next lowest price at $1.96)
- Organic Green Beans – Whole Foods; $4.99 for 24oz pkg- Prime deal through 11/28 (If you don’t have a Whole Foods nearby, Walmart Supercenter has the next lowest price on Organic Trimmed Green Beans at $3.98 for 12oz) **Some Sam’s Club locations have Organic Snipped Green Beans for $5.48 for 28oz
- Marketside Organic Spinach – Walmart Supercenter; $3.66-$4.96 for 16oz ** In some locations, Sam’s Club is cheaper with prices at $3.38 for 16oz
- Organic Brussels Sprouts – Sprouts; $3.99 per pound
- Organic Spring Mix – Aldi and Target; $3.69 for 16oz; $3.69 for 16oz**In some locations, Sam’s Club is cheaper with prices ranging from $3.28 to $3.38 for 16oz
- Organic Petite Carrots – Sam’s Club; $3.28-$3.98 for 3lbs
- Organic Whole Carrots – Sam’s Club; $2.74-$3.48 for 5lbs
- Organic Sweet Potatoes – Whole Foods; $1.29/lb – Prime deal through 11/28 **Some Sam’s Club locations also have 5lb bags of Organic sweet potatoes for $6.48 (just over $1.29/lb)
- Organic Russet Potatoes – Trader Joe’s; $3.69 for 5lb bag
- Organic Red Bell Pepper 2-pack – Target; $2.99-$3.49 for 2-pack
- Organic Green Bell Pepper 2-pack – Walmart Supercenter; $2.96 for 2-pack
- Organic Red and Yellow 2-pack – Walmart Supercenter; $3.46 for 2-pack
- Organic Grape Tomatoes – Walmart Supercenter; $2.96-$3.26
- Organic Green Kale Bunches – Whole Foods; $1.99 each
- Conventional Cauliflower – Walmart; $2.77 **If you have both a Walmart Supercenter and a Target, check online before you go. In some locations, Target is cheaper on cauliflower at $2.59
- Conventional Asparagus – Walmart Supercenter; $2.47-$2.74
- Conventional Broccoli – Walmart Supercenter; $1.11-$1.33
- Conventional White Sliced Mushrooms – Walmart Supercenter; $1.48-$1.98 for 8oz
- Conventional Yellow Onions – Walmart Supercenter; $1.94-$2.94
- Conventional Green Cabbage – Walmart Supercenter; $1.74-$2.34